Children normally have three transition visits prior to commencing school. Parents will be informed in writing of the days and times. Once children begin school, they will stay at school until 3.10pm. Parents are notified in writing of the exact dates for each transition group
What can we do to ease childrens transition to school
- The personality of the teacher is central to a childs feelings about school. (We encourage you to get to know your childs teacher as a person).
- Being with old friends is important.
- The behaviour of other children is likely to be the single most important factor in causing children anxiety about school. (Reassure your child that she/he has the right to feel safe and that the teacher is there to help).
- Some children feel a general anxiety because they dont know what is expected of them.
- Why can't I play with friends in other classes now?
- Why do I have to ask to go to the toilet?
- Why can't I go outside when I want to?
We explain procedures but you can help too.
They may be worried about getting lost, or being in the wrong place at the wrong time.
- What is the bell for?
- What does recess time mean?
Together we can help your child understand school life.